By: Syed Akhbar Ali
Why have “Bible debaters” like Ahmed Deedat and Zakir Naik sprung up, especially since the 1980s? The answer is simple – they are protecting their own people, the Muslims, from the encroachment of the evangelical Christians who are now moving very aggressively all over the world.
Christians jangan lah marah ok. They have the absolute right to protect their own faith, just as the Christians have the absolute right to protect their own faith as well.
There is no doubt that there is intensive Christian missionary work targeted at converting Muslims in Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines, India, Pakistan, the Middle East and just about everywhere in the world into Christianity. There is not as much organised missionary activity by Muslims on a global scale. You will rarely meet a Muslim trying to convert you into Islam at the Los Angeles International Airport.
If you ask me, trying to convert people into your religion is not a crime. This should be a free world. Everyone should be able to pitch whatever religion they want to pitch. If the evangelicals want to preach the Bible go ahead. If Zakir Naik wants to preach his religion please go ahead.
But whether this fellow is right or that fellow is wrong, that is another question. I think most religious teachings are best kept safely inside the trash bin. Thats where they belong – especially the evangelical Christians. (If anyone of them wants to engage with me here, please feel free ok. Bukan susah pun.)
Here at OutSyed The Box my pitch is the Quran. I strongly urge all of you, Muslim and non Muslim alike to seriously study the Quran. You may all get the shock of your life – especially the Muslims. The Muslims will find out that many of the religious practises that you uphold cannot be found in the Quran. Instead they are found in the Bible.
The evangelical Christians will discover that many, many of the things which they dont like about “Islam” are just not found in the Quran. 72 virgins, stoning the adulterer to death, hijab headcover for women, killing the apostate etc are not found in the Quran.
Instead most of these teachings are found in the Bible – your Bible. Ha ha ha! What an irony.
It is totally, absolutely easy to take on the evangelical Christians. Just read their Bible. It is also totally, absolutely easy to take on the “religious” guys as well (including Dr Zakir Naik). Just read the Bible again. Dua-dua lebih kurang sama saja.
Dr Zakir Naik will argue that the Bible is NOT the word of “God”. The evangelicals will be saying the exact opposite ie the Bible is the word of “God”. Fine. Please keep this in mind. Do not forget this little point of argument between Dr Zakir Naik and the Christians.
So folks, if any of you are attending Dr Zakir Naik’s talk tomorrow at the PWTC, here is a list of beliefs that are common between Dr Zakir Naik and the evangelical Christians. At the end of this list I have just a few short questions. Hopefully you may print out this short list and then ask Dr Zakir Naik to answer those few questions.
Here is a list of things that form part of the religious practises or religious beliefs of Dr Zakir Naik. These things ARE NOT FOUND in the Quran. Instead they are found in the Bible (or “also” found in the Bible).
1. Saying ‘Amen’ is found in the Bible, Deuteronomy 27:14-26 “And all the people shall say Amen”. This is not found in the Quran.
2. The prohibition against making statues, carvings, images etc is found in the Bible, Deuteronomy 4:15-18. This is not found in the Quran.
3. The practise of religious men wearing beards (like Dr Zakir Naik) is found in Leviticus 19:27, Leviticus 21:5, 2nd Samuels 10:5 and others. This is not found in the Quran.
4. Stoning the adulterer to death is found in Deuteronomy 22: 23-24, Leviticus 20:10 and other Bible verses. This is not found in the Quran.
5. The concept of Aqeedah as binding faith is found in the Hebrew Bible. The “Aqeedat Yitzhak”, referring to both Abraham’s and Isaac’s “binding faith” that Isaac be sacrificed. This word aqeedah as well as the concept of aqeedah as “binding faith” are NOT found in the Quran.
6. Muslims are taught to hang up holy writing (Quran verses etc) on the walls, in their houses, offices, shops, cars, buses etc. Hanging up holy writing on the wall, above your door frames etc is found in the Bible, Deuteronomy 6:4-9, Deuteronomy 11:20-21. This is not found in the Quran.
7. Apostates or murtad are condemned to be killed. This is found in the Bible, Deuteronomy 13:5, Leviticus 24:16 and others. This is not found in the Quran.
8. The Jews celebrate the 10th Day of the New Year or “Yom Kippur” as a day of atonement and penance. (See Leviticus 23:27). The Shiah Muslims also celebrate the 10th day of the Islamic New Year (“10th day of Ashura”) also as a day of atonement and penance. This is not found in the Quran.
9. Blasphemy or “insulting religion” is a punishable offence that is found in the Bible. See Mark 14: 62-64, Mark 3:28 and others. The religious teachers teach that Insulting religion is also a punishable offence. This is not found in the Quran.
10. Belief in the Second Coming (of Jesus, of the Saviour) is definitely a Biblical teaching. The religious people also believe in the second coming of the Imam Mahdi etc. This is not in the Quran.
11. Dr Zakir Naik will believe in the hijab as a head cover for women. The teaching for women to cover the head is found in the Bible, in 1st Corinthians 11 : 2-16. This is not found in the Quran.
12. The wearing of turbans and robes as a mark of a religious person or priest is again found in the Bible, Exodus 28:4. This is not found in the Quran.
Now here is the question for Dr Zakir Naik as well as the Christians.
To Dr Zakir Naik – you say the Bible is NOT the word of God. Yet here is a list of 12 of your religious practises or religious beliefs that are NOT found in the Quran but they are found in the Bible (and maybe in the hadith, ijma, fiqh etc). When these things are written in the Bible, you say they are NOT the word of God. However when they are written in your own sources, you say it is part of your religion? Can you please explain?
To the Christians – This list represents some of the things that you do not like about Islam. Yet these things are NOT found in the Quran. They are found in the Bible in the Old as well as in the New Testaments. So can you please explain your dislike for the Quran and your love for the Bible?
Finally, can the Muslims follow the scripture of the Christians? The Quran gives an indication :
Surah 3:98 Say, “O followers of the scripture, why do you reject these revelations of Allah, when Allah is witnessing everything you do?”
Surah 3:99 Say, “O followers of the scripture, why do you repel from the path of Allah those who wish to believe, and seek to distort it, even though you are witnesses?” Allah is never unaware of anything you do.
Surah 3:100 O you who believe, if you obey some of those who received the scripture, they will revert you, after having believed, into disbelievers.
Surah 3:101 How can you disbelieve, when these revelations of Allah have been recited to you, and His messenger has come to you? Whoever holds fast to Allah will be guided in the right path.
So please ask Dr Zakir Naik as well as the Christians.